Tread the path of peace - 6 April 2020
By Hennie Symington
How wonderful it is to see a messenger coming across the mountains, bringing good news, the news of peace! Isaiah 52:7
Try to be at peace with everyone, and try to live a holy life. Hebrews 12:1(a)
Peace remains one of the most elusive dreams of men today. We all strive for peace but can’t even live in relative peace with those closest to us, let alone strangers.
Yet each one of us is called to be a peacemaker. In Ephesians 6:15 we are urged to stand prepared with our shoes the readiness to announce the Good News of peace. How do your shows sound when you get up in the morning?
How does one make peace?
• In humility. That means God is the important one, not you.
• When you strive for peace with your neighbour regardless of who he is.
• When you speak the truth and don’t adjust God’s message of peace to suit a world that does not believe.
• When you listen before speaking and speak truthfully.
• When you immerse yourself in the Word so that you know what you’re talking about.
• When you pray without ceasing. Pray for wisdom, grace and power to bring the message of peace fearlessly.
• When you know the price of peace. That is you have to take up your cross every day and follow Christ if you want to be a peacemaker.
• If you start with yourself, your own environment, your own town and your own home.
• When you turn the other cheek and get off your high horse.
If you strive and work for peace, you are doing what God does: He makes peace with us.
Prayer: Lord, I confess I’m not much of a peacemaker. Please give me wisdom to know when to make peace and when to let it go. Give me the peace that passes all understanding. Amen